Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wednesday

Dad was in surgery for about an hour this afternoon to have the dialysis cathader inserted into his jugular. In my opinion, anything that involves the word 'jugular' seems major, but it was actually a pretty minor surgery. So he had his first dialysis with the new cathader and everything went smoothly. At this point, they will be doing dialysis about every other day indefinitely until his kidneys show an improvement in function. We are praying that his kidneys would eventually be healed so he would not have to go through dialysis the rest of his life. We'll see what God has in mind...

They haven't been able to sit him up in his wheelchair for about five days due to his dialysis drama so hopefully tomorrow he'll get up for a bit. It is vital that his body be in a sitting position daily so that his lungs continue to heal. The longer he lays in bed, the more likely it is that he'll get pneumonia again, so the goal tomorrow is to get him in the chair. It's a much more complicated process than you would expect...involving nurses and slings and hoists. But getting in the chair means getting the lungs stronger which means getting off the respirator which means getting back to the spinal cord unit. Not to mention eating, drinking, and talking! Right now we just gotta get out of that ICU.

I was blessed to be able to hang out with him alone as he was waiting to be transported to surgery. He was actually able to whisper audibly due to some random air pockets so we had an actual conversation... no mouthing required. I loved it...just talking about life, just being a daughter and a dad, talking like we would before his accident. Well, except for some talk of jugulars, dialysis cathedars, and renal failure...same old, same old. It was sweet and an hour with my Pops that I won't soon forget.

A verse that dad said he has been clinging to is Romans 8:28. "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

In all things God is working for the good, dad's accident included. Amazing how many things there are to be thankful for. Relationships being deepened, perspectives being changed, faith being refined. Praise God for how He's changing all of us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father,
Thank YOU that Pat clings to YOUR word through scripture memorization (awana blessing) and that he has the maturity to know that the victory has already been sealed. "But whoever keeps HIS word, truly in him the love of God is perfected." 1 John 2:5
So I pray this morning that Jesus living in Pat will strengthen and uphold him. And Father, please continue to allow baby steps so that Pat can get out of ICU as quickly as possible and continue to heal his lungs.
Love<><
Jenny

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray to God for Pat to heal and also for all of the Bohrmans, that you all may continue to be strong.

Anonymous said...

Only God...

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that the Dr's are getting a handle on your Kidney issues. Keep up with the baby steps. Take comfort in that God has given you a strong family and network of friends. Many prayers and thoughts to all of you Bohrman's. we have been following the Blog since it started and Amy does a GREAT job. I wasn't techie! enough to figure out how to send a response,but I think I figured it out, so any NEEDS or WANTS let us know. xoxoxox's Chris & Dan Shaw

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Thanks for sharing this journey with all of us. I know that it has deepened my walk with the Lord. Even though I have been a christian for years and years, I wander off the path constantly. You have been a wonderful example to me and it makes me realize how I need to be more dependent on God and quit trying to do things on my own. This blog isn't just about keeping us informed on how to pray, it is also helping so many of us grow in our faith. Thanks for allowing God to use you through this experience.

Anonymous said...

\0/ \0/ \0/

Praise God !!!!

Wendy said...

I can't stay silent any longer..... Now that there is another Michael Bohrman in the world I have to let you all know how much I have been thinking of you and praying for your family.

I went to school with your uncle Mike and have known your Mom and Dad for a long time although we have not seen each other in a long while.

I have been following your blog since almost the first day, crying with you, praying with you and remembering all the wonderful times I had with your dad and his family a long time ago.

My co-workers have been following also and somehow we all feel that we are part of your family. Now that it seems your dad is truely getting better I will dig out the pictures from my wedding where I danced with your father and show them to everyone so they can see him as I knew him then.

Please continue to keep us all informed of his progress and we will keep praying for all of you.

God Bless.....