Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Storm on the Horizon

No, not the storm you're thinking of...it's the name of dad's power wheelchair. I noticed yesterday that his model is the StormTDX5. I don't know what that means, but it sounds cool. Dad actually drove the Storm today for the first time...he would have done it sooner but the motor was broken. (And it would have been fixed sooner had dad been able to get his hands on it.) So it was good for Pops to be able to tool around the halls with his therapist Dale and take control of the chair for the first time. He is now comfortable using the control to tilt himself whenever he wants...these small steps are big leaps towards more independence.

The highlight of his day was probably when his Wednesday morning men's bible study showed up at 7:00 this morning. These are some of the most solid Christian men in dad's life, and it was so precious of them to come and pray over Pops...at a time when he really needed it. Mike said when they showed up dad was awake and staring at the ceiling. When he saw his friends he became pretty emotional and admitted, "I am so scared. I am really afraid." So they spent some time praying with him, and Mike said it seemed to give him peace. Early mornings are dad's toughest part of his day...in the quiet of his room, alone, waiting for the nurses to get him up. So if you are awake early in the mornings, please say a prayer for dad, that he would feel God's angels surrounding him, and that he would truly understand that perfect love casts out all fear.

Other than that, dad's day was somewhat uneventful. He felt pretty sick this afternoon and has been feeling a little nauseous after starting some new meds. He was very tired...all of yesterday's amazingness was draining, so not a lot of talking today. But this is how it works...sometimes good days...sometimes not so good. Please continue to pray for him as he continues to realize his limitations...he still can't move his legs or left arm at all and sometimes it just hits him really hard. How can it not.

But our God is so big. So strong. So mighty. There is truly nothing our God cannot do. His wisdom and power are uncomprehensible. So let's keep on praying.

And you better start to watch your back. You never know when that Storm will come tearing through...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,Jean and Family...
I am so excited to hear of the progress made. Your faith is truly inspiring! I have always had a special place in my heart for Pat and the rest of you Bohrmans after leaving Genesis (and Rudy of course who taught me "good enough for who its for"). I have been checking your progress regularly...if I miss a day my mom fills me in. Keep up the good work and strong will. You are in my prayers and thoughts day and nite. One day at a time. Slow and steady wins the race. God Bless.
Tracy
PS..When the time is right I promise I will finally bring my kids by. My mother keeps saying something about losing the "Grandchild race"?

Anonymous said...

Joy comes in the morning. I will pray that promise for Pat. Moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day, week by week, month by month...
linda lentz

"The eagle is the only bird that can lock its wings and wait for the right wind. It waits for the updraft and never has to flap its wings---just soar. So as we wait on God, He will help us use the adversities and strong winds of life to our benefit!" Billy Graham

Those that wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles. Isaiah 40:31

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,
I am up early so I am praying that God will calm your heart, mind, and your storm (no pun intended). "YOU are my hiding place; YOU will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverence. Psm 32:7 So I pray today that HIS deliverence will be upon you, Pat and that HE will calm your storm. And when "the storm" is up and running well, I pray that the LORD's strength will be your joy.
Neh 8:10 AMEN
Love<><
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Amy ... this may be a dumb question, but where has your Grand Father been during this ordeal?
Mike Flanagan

Anonymous said...

Amy & Pat:
This is Erin & Audra's dad "Curly".
I have been following the blogs about Pat with much interest. I've shared the address with a number of people including our mission church congregation "Hope Lutheran". We've met at the Summit Town Hall for 4 years now. We continue to pray for you all (especially Pat). The Pat Bohrman story is really quite extraordinary. And what fantastic witnesses you all are to glorify God the way you do. I've said it many times that the internet can be such a cesspool, but your postings demonstrate something 180 degrees. Let All People Praise God!
I also wanted to mention my willingness to help in any way I can. I don't know if you knew this or not, but I was a live in care provider for a fellow college student at UWO. Jim broke his neck diving into shallow water at age 15 in July of 1970. I lived with and cared for Jim during the 73/74, 74/75, & 75/76 school years. We became best friends (he was my best man in my wedding) and continue so today. Jim is a quadripeligic, but he is quite active. Jim has worked for Disabled Student Services @ Arizona State University for probably 20+ years. I don't mean to imply Pat's injuries are the equivilent to my friends, only that I can appreciate his condition. Keep up the rehab, with good humor Pat and Amy don't hesitate to call or email any needs you like for me to address.
God's Blessings,
Curly

Anonymous said...

I don't know your family but I am praying for all of you on a daily basis. I am praying for healing and I know our God works in amazing ways.