Monday, January 22, 2007

Mud

Sometimes there's just not much to say. He's still in ICU. He's still battling the pneumonia. He's still weak, withdrawn, and very fragile. He still has a few sweet things to say...his first three words to me were "Fans. Happy? Bears." (Which in mouth-ese translates to, "Hey, is Fans super excited that the Bears won yesterday or what?") He still makes me laugh...

But seeing his body still so weak, showing more regression than progress at this point...makes it hard to still be strong...to still be positive. Sometimes it seems like we've been at the same place for so long, like we're wading through mud that's three feet deep and we're not really going anywhere. For some reason, his whole body is swollen and the doctors don't know why. After working so hard to get off the respirator, he's completely dependent on it again. He can't do physical therapy in the ICU so the muscle he has worked so hard to gain is quickly fading. It's like it's starting all over again. Like we've trudged through the mud for six weeks only to have someone pick us up and set us back at the beginning of our giant mud-pile sidewalk thing and we've got to start again and why am I talking about mud....I don't know....

Some days just suck. Sorry if it's not a pretty word, sorry if I'm talking like a truck driver (as my mom would say), and now sorry to all you truck drivers out there for the blatant stereotyping, but you know what, today sucks. It just feels good to say that. In fact, sometimes it feels even better to yell it. TODAY SUCKS.

My dad has worked his butt off for the last 36 years of his life in a job that he doesn't really have passion for in order to give us everything we want and need...toys, cars, college, weddings, honeymoons, everything...he's worked his whole life to provide for his family. And now that he's almost done working so hard, he's almost ready to start to enjoy some time with his wife...and he can't do anything. Literally, he can't do anything. He. Can't. Do. Anything.

But why does today suck so bad? It's because I am thinking of mom and dad's future, of mom in tears because all she wants is a hug from her husband and she may never feel his arms around her again. Because the retirement I think they deserve will never happen as planned. Because dad may never again sail the Miss Paige, his favorite little sailboat. Because dad may never hold his infant grandson when he arrives any day now. There are so many "because he'll nevers". So many. That's why today sucks.

But, of course, I can't end there. Because God tells me not to worry about tomorrow...mainly because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. We can't focus on the "he'll nevers" because the truth is we just plain don't know. Today can suck. I will give myself that. But where's my faith if I sit and wallow in my pity for my dad and our family. God doesn't want that. I don't want that.

And I don't want days that suck. Tomorrow is a new day, and God's already there waiting for us. Dad may progress. Dad may slide backwards. We might be stuck in the mud in the same exact spot for the next six weeks. But what's the point in projecting? Why let the things we can't control take over our emotions until we're pissed about things that aren't even reality yet and we write long blogs that spew our anger and use the word 'suck' too many times when I know my cute nieces and nephews read this and I don't want them to use words like 'suck' or 'pissed'? It makes no sense.

So forgive me Lord for my doubt. I don't want to doubt Your plan for my dad's life. I know You've got it under control. Sometimes I just wish I could do some controling of my own. But I can't. So I won't. That's Your job.

And that just makes me feel better.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy,
Thanks for being real. I'm glad you feel the freedom to let off some steam. You're in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy......when I read your post this morning, my first thought was "how can I climb through this computer and give you huge hugs and tell you everything will be alright?"....especially not knowing if everything will be alright. Please know that all of you are in my heart and thoughts every single day. I can't even begin to imagine what your dad and all of you are going through....but I do read your blog everyday and feel like I'm on this roller coaster ride....through your writings with you all. It's easy to say "hang in there"....especially at times when there is not too much to grip on to......just hope you can feel the love and concern for all of you. So, I'm not going to say "hang in there"........but instead....keep the faith.
Huge Hugs,
Marlee

Tkh said...

Dear Bohrmans,

I am so sorry. I feel your pain because God has anointed Amy with the gift of writing and because of what He has allowed in my life. This blog is His story continued...all who have eyes...look and see...all who have ears...listen. I'm so very grateful that we have a Risen Lord to look up to when all it seems we can do is hang our heads and cry. Love, Hubbell

dorothy hays said...

Dear Jeannie, I just had to write. Amy has been so courages to write each day, I appreciate her words.

I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel. The bible says "Fear Not", 365 times. It is hard not to fear the unknown, and to watch a helpless loved one each day.

Just know that you are not alone!

Dorothy Hays

Anonymous said...

God's word has sustained me. There have been times when I have only been capable of reading a few verses at a time, yet the supernatural, life-giving power of the Word of God has given me strength to go on, even if only one day at a time.
Anne Graham Lotz
One baby step at a time, that is the way you are living; trusting as you go, Bohrmans ....Thank you. Please know that your sensitive, authentic postings are not going unheeded. I pray today that you "may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ" Eph 3:18 the next verse says this love surpasses knowledge. So I pray today that Jesus will strengthen, sustain and encourage you; and continue to heal Pat physically, spiritually, and emotionally. I also pray that any questions, anger, or sadness would be brought to YOUR Throne for healing. Father, even dark is light to YOU; so I pray today that YOU would illuminate and sustain Pat and the Bohrmans. Amen
Love<><
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Bohrmans,
Through totally different circumstances our family knows how you feel. It does suck, and it's OK to be pissed. Thank you for being real enough to say it. Sometimes the frustration, emotional fatigue, and unknowns are just too much. Luckily you have all of us to pray for you even when you might feel like you just can't. Tomorrow may or may not be better, but we're all still here praying for all of you.

Julie Simons

Anonymous said...

I HAVEN'T MISSED A BLOG. MY HEART IS WITH YOURS......MY PRAYERS ARE CONTINUING FOR PAT AND ALL THE BOHRS. A VERY REAL SITUATION....TOUGH AND WITH MUCH 'TOSSING'......BUT THAT WON'T STOP US PRAYING. NEVER!
LOVE YOU ALL,
ARCH

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
So sorry that you have to go through this...thanks for being real. Praying for you today.
Love,
Leah Franczyk

Anonymous said...

"Sucks" is an excellent word, especially when worse words seem more appropriate.

You wrote that Pat worked "in order to give us everything we want and need... toys, cars, college, weddings, honeymoons, everything...he's worked his whole life to provide for his family." It sound like he puts others before himself. That makes him sound selfless and quite noble. And that sounds about right.

Anonymous said...

Footprints:
One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was
walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the
sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he
noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one
belonging to him, and the other to the Lord. When
the last scene of his life flashed before him, he
looked back at the footprints in the sand. He
noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed
that it happened at the very lowest and saddest
times in his life. This really bothered him and he
questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, You said that
once I decided to follow you, You'd walk with me all
the way. But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life, there is only one set
of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed
you most you would leave me." The Lord replied,
"My son, My precious child, I love you and I would
never leave you. During your times of trial and
suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it
was then that I Carried You."
These were made in the sand but He works in the mud too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dear Friends, Nothing to say but I am here at a moment's notice. PJ and I had lunch yesterday. I swear, he is the best son a surrogate mom could ask for! Amy, I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to write each day, especially when things aren't going well. You and your mom are two very courageous ladies! Nobody signed up for this, but you all are made of tougher stuff than most of us. Huge hugs and love to you. O.K.

Anonymous said...

I walk in the forest every day with my two golden retriever puppies named Grace and Izzie. Every day we are with God in his surroundings and every single day we lift Pat and Jean and all of you to Jesus/Our Father. I ask not only for you, but for many... and the voice that I consistantly hear is telling me that HE loves us and to fear not........so I'm going to hang on to that voice ok? For all of us. With much love

Anonymous said...

Being stuck in the mud is what Jeeps help eliminate. Its a Jeep thing....Pat understands.

We pray God is your Jeep and moves you out of the mud.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
We talked about it and went on to other things: rjsimons@sbcgloba.net

Julie

Anonymous said...

DUH!
That would be rjsimons@sbcglobal.net

Julie :-)

Anonymous said...

Long time reader...first time writer.

Thank you.

Thank you for teaching me about today.