Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Tiny Bit Calmer

Alright...it's still a storm but a little less windy today. Thank God cause yesterday can only be described as pure stink. Dad is still battling the pneumonia but was able to go to rehab. He is trying very hard to work with his therapists despite the weakness he feels. We are proud of him for toughing it out.

His cognitive therapist is pleased with his progress. Dad is better able to understand that his slowness in response to some questions is a result of the small amount of brain damage that he suffered. He seems to better accept the fact that his body and mind suffered a severe injury, which is why he just doesn't 'feel normal', but that's okay. He can turn on the charm if need be, but he once again requested not to see anyone. I promise he's not being a stinker, he just hates mouthing and just plain doesn't feel good. He said to mom today that he gets so frustrated when he can't communicate like he wants to. Despite the pneumonia, he was able to have the valve in today for a short time. He looked at mom and said "I love you." Perfect timing....sometimes she just needs to hear that voice....especially when it's words of affirmation and not just "Brush my teeth, woman." Dad would never say that....would he? Ha.

We continue to pray for his state of mind...it's probably expected that someone in his position would be depressed, but of course it does him no good. As his family we see his true self and his attitude and sometimes it just doesn't seem like the Pops that we know. So we keep praying for a calmess and peace in his spirit.

Mike met with the "ramp guy" and the houses will be ready for the Storm when it wheels home in a month. A little more reality to get used to...but think how much fun the grandkids will have riding their bikes directly into the house. What the heck, I think I might join them...sounds pretty sweet. If mom objects, we'll just say it's so dad doesn't feel like the only guy 'rampin' it'...

Mike also met with the men's bible study this morning although there was no hospital visit as dad wanted his peace and quiet. I know Mike enjoys this time of being surrounded by dad's friends and prayer partners because in a way it brings him closer to Pops. We are so grateful for those guys, and for everyone that continues to pray for him. Know that we need it...and appreciate it. Thanks for lovin' our Pops...and us....even when we're all a bit cranky.

And praise God for a better day.

9 comments:

Amy Fanning said...

And thanks to anonymous for the lyrics to that song...awesome.

Amy

Sue Johnson said...

Amy,

Cranky is nothin' after what you guys have gone through. Feel free to be cranky if you want. As your mom might say, "God's big enough to handle cranky." Thanks for being honest and please know that we are still with you-- good days AND bad!

Love,
Sue, Dan, and Collin

Anonymous said...

Bohrmans -
Thank YOU Jesus that Pat had a better day today. Our hearts and prayers are continual, and yes those lyrics are awesome; and encouraging to all of us. Please be assured that everyone (and I mean everyone) who has seen this blogsite and know about Pat's accident are fervently praying for physical healing in addition to mercy, grace and hope amidst the trial. "If YOUR instruction had not been my delight, I would have died in my affliction. I will never forget YOUR precepts, for YOU have given me life through them." Psm 119:92-93 So tonight, I pray that you rest well in our Saviour's arms, Pat and that you have even a better day tomorrow. I also pray that the minds of the entire Bohrman family are grounded in the WORD and any fear, doubt, or complaint would be brought before YOU moment by moment. Amen
Love<><
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Huge hugs to all of you.....you are on my mind every day....hoping things keep improving.
Marlee

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrmans,

My council time at AWANA tonight will be about the power of prayer. I intend to share your blog site address with the girls (5th and 6th grade) and their families. Tonight 22 young girls will become prayer warriors and their target will be Pat. Your family and your wonderful dad will be our prayer project as we attempt to help all of you in the only way we know how - Prayers to God for a steady and full recovery for Pat and prayers of support and peace to all of you as you struggle with the daily highs and lows. In Christ's love - Lindy Hauber

Anonymous said...

Hey Bohrmans,
We check in with you every day here in Lake Mills, our prayers are with you and we think about you guys daily. Amy, I like your thoughts on the bike ramp!
Love,
Lundys

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrmans, I check in with you every day and my thoughts are with you daily. We sam each other last when P.J. was about 9 years old ( I remember cause I did not really recognize him on the pictures...), but ít was a great time we spent together, you are in my heart, my prayers and my thoughts daily.

Lots of love and strength from Austria
Alexandra D-Mayr

Lew said...

I messed up my google account and have experienced difficulty with previous comments. Regardldess, I just wanted you all to know that prayers have been coming Pat's way on a daily basis, asking God to return good health. They've also gone out to the entire family asking for strength.

I understand how the spirit can be deflated in this situation and realize that God is the only one with the type "pump" to replenish that spirit and strength.

My love & respect to you all.

Anonymous said...

Amy , Pat & Family:
Thought you'd like to read/hear this. It's from Micheal Schroeder and my favorite song of his.
God's Blessings AND COMFORT
Curly Wentland

http://www.myspace.com/michaelschroeder


Send the Storm
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
Copyright 2003, Michael Schroeder.

I once was, in my world, a king,
reaping the joy of all my blessings.
I lived life to the fullest each day
forgetting Who put it in place.

Life was good, and the livin’ so easy
That I’d forget how much you mean to me, so

Chorus:
Send the storm, Lord, so that I may fall
back into your waiting arms.
For when I’m weak, then I am strong,
So I will reach for you - send the storm.

I was caught up by the world and its plans,
who let me believe that I was the man,
Slowly trusting myself, with a faith in my ways,
forgetting You put it in place.

Life was good, when things went my way,
That I’d forget I needed You to be saved, so

Chorus:
Send the storm, Lord, so that I may fall
back into your waiting arms.
For when I’m weak, then I am strong,
So I will reach for you - send the storm.

Drifting on this ocean alone,
I needed you to bring me home.

Chorus:
Send the storm, Lord, so that I may fall
back into your waiting arms.
For when I’m weak, then I am strong,
So I will reach for you - send the storm.
So I won’t lose you - send the storm.