Friday, December 15, 2006

A Smile

I went in to see dad this morning. He is a little more alert than he was yesterday. Baby steps. I walked right up to his bed and he looked me right in the eyes. I stared into them for awhile and then whispered, "Do you know who I am?". Without taking his eyes off me, he nodded his head yes. What an amazing moment. I know I will never forget it as long as I live. I thank God for the miracle of being able to stare into his eyes and know with all my heart that he knows who I am. Mom and I went for a walk, and when we came back, we both leaned over his bed and looked at him. He looked at mom, then looked to me, and then he smiled. Even with all the tubes and the bite blocker, we could see his little grey moustache move and we knew he smiled. It was amazing. He is still very groggy, and he kind of fades in and out, but he definitely is more awake than yesterday. He of course hates the tubes and is almost constantly biting at them. We don't know exactly when he'll be off the respirator, but they are very slowly reducing the amount of oxygen he is getting from the respirator which is good news. Mike and Becky went to the hospital after I got home, and P.J. and Kersta should be there soon. I can't wait to hear their report and how their time went with dad. We'll update again later. I thank God for seeing a smile. Amazing. Keep praying.....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's all good!
Bless all of you
Keep warm with prayer tonight!
Amen!

Sue Johnson said...

Amy,

I've been watching the blog site all day and can't imagine how YOU must have felt to see the smile and the nod, because I know how I felt when I read about it!!!! Thank you, thank you, Lord!!!!

We continue to stand with you in prayer. Thanks for sharing it all with us! We love you!

Sue, for Dan and Collin, too

Anonymous said...

I don't know your family, but my heart goes out to all of you. What a wonderful family you are! Will be thinking good thoughts and sending warm fuzzies your way that Pat will pull through this and will be on the road to recovery soon.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Weaz, PJ (Kersta), Mike (Becky), & Amy (Chris), As I told PJ I am addicted to your blog. It is wonderful to hear about good ole Marden's progress. Music to the eyes ((:
Love to you all! Oinker
P.S. What a beautiful early birthday present! Tell Marden Happy Birthday tomorrow!

SanDiegoGolfJunkie said...

Amy, I've tears of joy....wonderful news...baby steps...may every day from here on out bring some small miracle :))
Love you all,
Aunt P

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Amy, for your "smile" entry! I'm sure everyone reading it smiled and shed some tears of joy! My prayer is that your dad does the gift-giving on his birthday - another gift of this sort would make for a birthday to remember! Jane Zenner

Anonymous said...

Praising God for this miracle. I can see that smile on Pat's face when I close my eyes. Thanks for sharing from your heart. Say hi to everyone from the Lentz family. Such good memories we have of all of you in the neighborhood. Every time I turn on my front yard light, I think of Pat, our electrician, who installed it for us. What a guy. Blessings, Linda

Anonymous said...

A smile...how blessed an event! I know whenever I would see Pat smile, his eyes would twinkle. His smile must have put a twinkle in all of your eyes today.

We'll continue praying for Pat.

Sue, Kurt & Melissa Carloni

Anonymous said...

So good to hear that things are looking up... even if only a little at a time. Please know that Kevin and I are keeping your family in our prayers. We think of you every day and hope that there has been positive progress made. We'll continue to pray for you and keep you in our thoughts.
Love, Andrea, Kevin, Maggie & Abby Zirbes!

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling as i write this and think of many sales calls I have made on Pat.
He is one of those genuine people it is always a pleasure to visit.
Pat is fortunate to be at the particular hospital he is at. In my opinion it is one of the best anywhere and the technology for treating these types of injuries has come a long way over the years.
good luck Pat.

Anonymous said...

To the Bohrman family,
My heart goes out to all of you. We will be praying God's grace, love, and most of all strength and healing for everyone!! Say Hi to your dad for us. My (Debby) father suffered and incomplete spinal cord injury a little over a year ago now-Oct 2005. My father also had the ventilator, suffered renal failure three times, pneumonia, and went septic. It was a very emotional time. Your dad is a fighter, God has HIS plans, and it is great peace to know God is in charge. Prayerfully- Jim, Debby, Jeffrey (Shana), James Jr., Jared, Jon Donner. P.S. It sounds like it is your dads birhtday, wish him one for me (its mine too)!

Anonymous said...

God bless the Bohrman family. We are so thankful for the great "smile" blog today. Another wonderful miracle to keep passing on! You are on our minds and in our prayers daily. Pat - Keep up the good work!

The Fink Family from CCS

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's great to hear that you are seeing signs of improvement. We are so happy for your blessed day today. May God continue to be by your side and bring your father/husband the strength he needs and you all need to get through each and every day.

Your blog is absolutely refreshing and I can't believe how beautiful you can write.

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with all of you!!!