Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Big Day Tomorrow

What a good day it's been. To know dad has his surgeries behind him and that we can continue moving forward from here is such a relief for all of us. We know that a long road lies ahead, but for the past few days, we weren't sure there would be any road at all. We know that last night his pneumonia could have worsened, his fever could have continued to rise. But we serve a God that apparently has more for dad to do here on earth. My favorite memory of the day was as the surgeons walked away and the family immediately circled together to give thanks to God for bringing dad through it. We have learned a lot about each other the last 6 days, and I have never been more proud of all of them.

Tomorrow will be a big day for dad, and probably an incredibly hard one but in a much different way. Dad has been on paralytics and heavy sedation for the last 3 days, and as morning comes those drugs will begin wearing off. We will wait in excited anticipation for the opening of eyes, the removal of the breathing tube, the untethering of the arm, and finally hearing his voice again. But with these things will come awearness of his injury, awearness of his limitations, awearness of the fact that we really don't know what limbs will work again. Mom will be going in early, and has warned the nurses to not let him wake up without her by his side. We know that in the next few days will come some anger, and we can guarantee that Pops will hate the rehab. So tomorrow we'll be praying for calmness in his spirit, that as he comprehends what has happened to him this past week, let's pray he takes it well. He body still has a lot of healing to do, his lungs still need to be clearer. Pray for mom to be strong as she tells him exactly what has happened. All of us kids are dying to see him tomorrow, but pray that we will have patience. Our very Italian, very emotional dad gets so worked up when he sees us that it may not be good for his body. We know it's because he loves us so much, but pray that if tomorrow isn't good timing, we will love him enough to let him rest one more day.

We go to bed tonight having cleared a huge hurdle, but have hundreds more lined up for us in the days, weeks, and months to come. We give praise and thanks to our Father in Heaven for holding up our dad and our family in His mighty hands. And we thank the precious families that have kept our bellies full of amazing food, our house full of beautiful flowers, and our spirits full of hope because of all of your encouraging words. I know dad would be so happy to know his family is being taken care of.

And as for mom's ongoing, ridiculously loud snoring, we can rest knowing that dad is in the hospital sleeping peacefully for the first time in about 35 years. Enjoy it while it lasts, Pops!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrman Family

We will be praying for you all
during the day tommorrow.

Thanks again for the updates!

Much love-

The Curtins

SanDiegoGolfJunkie said...

Wow, I got back in.....Gonzo, you had me in tears, buddy...let's go with all the good news and keep praying...we're taking any and all good days we can get!!!
Mikey, that gonzo ref takes me back about 25 years, but it's a good thing :))
I'm totslly with ya, gonzo....
much love,
Aunt Pol

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Bohrman, Amy, Chris, PJ, PJ's cute wife (I can't remember her name! Sorry!), Mike, Becky, all of you:

Every single one of you is in my prayers and have been throughout the week. I have my entire bible study and lots of friends in prayer for Mr. Bohrman and it's one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed to see the outpouring of love and prayer from every corner of the country. I've probably only spent time with Mr. Bohrman once - at Chris and Amy's wedding - but in that one night I remember thinking what a great guy he was. This semester of college God has truly been revealing to me the amazing power of prayer, and your family's attitude during this time only solidifies everything I've learned through Him recently. Thanks for being inspiring examples of the Christian faith.

<><
~Meghan Machon

Anonymous said...

Jeannie and Family,
Your family's strong faith in prayer and God is inspiring. I join the many people who pray every day for you and your remarkable husband and father. God's continued blessings and grace to you.
Karen H (Katie/oinker from Colorado's sister)

Tkh said...

I am up at 5 a.m. checking this thing. Thank you Amy (and all) for keeping us informed AND entertained! I am praising God for yesterday...YOU guys continue to do the believable and watch GOD do the unbelieveable!! But I just have one question????

PJ's MARRIED????????? I am sooooo out of the loop!!

Love you guys,

Hubbell

Anonymous said...

Dear Borhman family


Thank you so much for the updates and letting us know how to pray for Pat and you all. We are praying for you all..that each of you would sense God's loving arms around you...
Today will be one of many big days... and you will constantly me on my thoughts and in my prayers....
and selfishly I thank you for how my heart has been challenged by all your faith, strength, love and patience. I am reminded that what is really important this Christmas season is not the presents, the hustle and bustle...its engaging with a God who cares about each detail of our lives.
Love to you all

Laurie, Tom ,Alex and Ande Ferber

Anonymous said...

I know Pat through the fine work Genesis has done for Port Shell Molding (Pewaukee) over the years.
He's a special guy and a true gentleman. He's so fortunate to have such an amazing family for support. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrmans-

You have been in our thoughts and prayers constantly over the last week - we are so thankful to hear of the little daily miracles! We will continue to pray for God's healing hands for Pat and strength for the rest of you.
We live minutes from Froedtert, so please know our home is open for any of your family to have a meal, take a nap or grab a shower.
Love,
Brian and Kara White
(262-751-5383)

Anonymous said...

Jean and all the Bohrmans,

I ran into Scott Todd in the Minneapolis airport yesterday. He let me know about this site for news on Pat's condition. I'm so happy to hear that he's making progress and on the road to recovery. Cathy and I will be praying for all of you... you are in our thoughts.

Love to all,
Steve(Vern) and Cathy Bruss

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrman Family,

My heart is rejoicing with yours that Pat is on the road to recovery! We will continue to pray for him and your whole family...that you'd experience a "peace that transcends all understanding".

Thank you so much for keeping us updated Amy!

Love,
Leah & Zac Franczyk

Anonymous said...

We wish you the best and our prayers are with you and your family. We think of you everyday!
God Bless!
Your friends at the Hartland Fire Department

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrman Family,
My family and I will be constantly thinking of and praying for your family today. May God Be with you and help you through.
Eddy Finch and Family

Jim Woods said...

Jean and the family,

I was sitting with Pat last Thursday night after Awana's talking about what's going on in our lifes. Man! You never know what the next days going to bring in our lifes. You guy's have been on my mind and in my prayers since then. Will continue to pray for Pat and you all.

JW

John and Carol Ahrendt said...

Dear Bohrmans:
A passage that came to my mind today appears below. God said it. I believe it.

May you be blanketed in prayer as you go about your Father's business caring for Pat and each other.

Romans 1:8
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.

Love John and Carol