Wednesday, December 20, 2006

More Smoochin'....Ewww.

Dad has had a good day so far...just got an update from mom and she sounds very encouraged. She sees a little more of "dad" today than yesterday. Apparently, he's been eating a ton of ice and loving it...it must feel so good on an injured throat that's been dry for 12 days. He's had a few more smiles, and even some more "kisses" for mom...whoa...slow down big fella. A good family friend was in to see mom, and he talked to dad for a little bit. He leaned over dad and said "Bohr, you're doing great, your wife and kids are doing great...they're just great." Dad then mouthed the words "thank you"! It was enough of a surprise to bring his friend to tears, and I love that his first mouthing was a 'thank you'. I guess I assumed that his first communication would be aimed towards mom's bad singing or let's admit it...sometimes bad breath. His tracheotomy seems to have brought him a little more calmness, and a little less anxiety. Mom described him well when she said he's kind of like a drunk 12 year old. A pretty good description. Thank God for a great day of baby steps. Thank God for His perfect timing.

I have been telling mom for awhile that she should write a post herself, but her fear of the internet and her belief that "it's just a fad and it will go away" seems to scare her off. It turns out that late the other night while she was at the hospital, she wrote a letter to be put on the blog. If you know mom at all, you know that if she is given the opportunity to speak, you can bet your sweet buns she'll take it...every time. So here is a post from mom (Jeannie):

"I am writing to all of you to thank you for all of your kindness and most importantly, your prayers. To those of you who have been left "wondering" about some of what you have read on this blog...please be assured, it is no accident. It is your Heavenly Father calling out to you-telling you how very real He is-that He wants you to acknowledge and know how much He loves you. Whatever 'stuff' you think has blocked your path to Him..and He knows it all...acknowledge it and then let it go. He forgives you...all He wants is for you to believe that He loves you with an unconditional love-a love that surpasses our comprehension-a love that involves a plan for your life. This all may seem very heavy for many of you, but I write it because I know that Pat would want me to.

In all of this so called "tragedy", I count it a privilege that my Heavenly Father has allowed our family and friends to share their faith on a "world wide" blog...an opportunity few are given. I am humbled. I know, without a doubt, that everything in my life that I would consider "bad" has turned out to be a blessing...that is His promise. In time, I see His perfect plan in my life-He has never failed me. I may not understand, but I live with the assurance that I will...in time. Yes, I have doubted, wishing this had happened to me-I'm usually immobile anyway. I don't roller-blade around town with the dog whenever the weather permits, I don't snowboard with the kids, I don't drive around during a snowstorm with the grandchildren in their car seats plowing people's driveways 'just for the fun of it'. And I have moments, usually when my mind and body are tired and weak, that I say "Why not me, Lord? Why not me?" And then He speaks to me through our daughter whose faith amazes me, whose faith has grown because of some so-called "bad" stuff she's had to deal with these past couple of years...and she says, simply, "Mom, if God had wanted it to be you, it would have been you." So simple, so true, so reassuring. God has prepared her and myself and P.J. and Mike for this time. I know, without a doubt, that the "stirring" I felt to pray with Pat the morning of his accident was heaven sent. My Heavenly Father speaking to me through the Holy Spirit...it's happened before...it will happen again. I had no idea what lay ahead that day, but God did and He knows that every time I think about my stirring and that prayer with Pat, I am humbled and assured of His love for us...that He loves us and will guide us both in the days ahead.

Do I cry? Of course I cry. Usually when I am tired. But it is an emotion, just an emotion, not a fact...God gave me tear ducts, He knows each tear I shed. Faith is not built on emotion, it's built on fact. The fact that God is real, alive, and with me always. A committed relationship is not based on feelings, it's based on fact. I've always told the kids, "If I left you father every time I didn't 'feel' in love with him, it would have been a thousand times!" And so it is in a committed relationship with Christ. Not feelings, but fact. The fact that He is all-knowing, all-powerful, almighty, and so very alive and real. As I send you all this Christmas blessing, please ask yourself, "What have I done with this God-do I in fact believe? Am I searching? Is He real?" Remember, it's no accident you are being touched by the words you read on this blog. You've done nothing, absolutely nothing in this life that keeps Him from loving you. All He wants is for you to believe...in Him...and trust in His plan for your life...to get the 'stuff' in your life out of the way and run into His loving arms. The bible is His love letter to all of us, though out of it's living words it doesn't suggest we try to figure things out-it simply keeps saying "Trust me. Trust me. Trust me."

I do trust, and believe it or not, I feel so very blessed in the midst of all this to have a new perspective on this life. To appreciate the smallest of things...warm water running over my hands, a sunny day in a usually cloudy month, and a never-ending assurance of the love that my Heavenly Father has for me...and Pat. I am changed forever-never wanting to go back-for I am enjoying the sound of our grandchildren's laughter like never before. I see the faith of our children put into action that is so pleasing to God...and I am realizing that so many of our friends and family are "wondering" and I am so very thankful as I remember what it was like to "wonder". I know it was the beginning of my faith walk. Some of us have been believers longer than others-but it is not a contest. It is a very personal heart search-a very personal relationship between you and God...He speaks to us through people and situations He puts into our lives. We are all so very different, each with very unique personalities...He made us that way. And for that reason, we all hear Him differently...intimately...within our hearts. Just me and Thee...

No matter what happens, I know Pat is heaven bound. God decided when we would enter this world, and there is great peace in knowing He has already decided when we will leave it. My prayer for all of you is that you know you are heaven bound by believing that Christ sent His son Jesus to die for each of us. I know this is all somewhat overwhelming, but remember, if Christ were small enough for us to understand, He wouldn't be big enough for us worship. He simply says, "Trust me"...and I do.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie:

Your words are so comforting to us all. Thank you and your family for allowing us to follow along with your day, how your feeling and especially how Pat is doing. We know that he will be just fine.

The Wednesday Morning Group.

RC

Anonymous said...

Jean and Family-
Praise God that you are able to see progress!!! Thank you so much for your thoughts, Jean. I know a little about testing because of my MS and the unwelcome mobility problems. I thought God always wanted me to be on the front lines DOING "work" for HIM - deaconess, making coffee, serving communion, helping at every church function. Boy, did I have it wrong!!! Works is not the answer. God had me do an about face and I am now on the frontlines as a prayer warrior. HE has equipped me with a heart of encouragement, spirit of peace amidst my circumstances and in spite of my circumstances. Every time I use my cane - which is more often than I want to admit, I am leaning on Jesus to carry me and I have peace in being a child of God and being in relationship with HIM. "Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you" Matt7:7 In opening our lives to Christ we have the best equipped all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving PHYSICIAN. Call upon HIM now and rest in HIS presence.

And keep those smooches and spirits up. God is in control and HIS plan is perfect - rest in HIM, tonight and always.

Love,<><
Jenny Fell

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie and family, I'am praying for you guys everyday! I know all will turn out well. It will get better everyday. I read everyday to keep up, on how he is doing. I really hope to see you soon again Jeannie at Speedway, soon! Love, Lynette Meintz and Family

Anonymous said...

Bohrman Family,

Your faith through this whole thing is astounding, humbling, and unbelievably encouraging. It has really made me stop to rethink the things in my life that I take for granted, the mixed up priorities that distract me, and the God I so often leave out of the details of my life.

When I think about where we all were two months ago to where we are now, life does bring change, both unexpected and from our perspective, unwelcome. But thank God that he gives us the strength
to get through it.

I thank God for all of you, and I thank God for your enduring faith.

Anonymous said...

Amen....so beautifully written and so true. Thank you for choosing to use this as an oppoutunity to speak truth. My family loves each of you. The blog site and pictures has made me miss the Sauer, Bohrman, Gochenaur days. Your family is beautiful, and your faith encourages me. We will continue to pray.

Anonymous said...

Amy

Thank you so much for the daily updates on your Dad's condition. Like thousands of other people I check for news on the baby steps several times a day.

My daughter Kristin shared this story with me yesterday and based on her 4 year old son Connor's understanding, the Bohrman Family is ready for Christmas.


Just had to share this personal story of Christmas with all of you!
This past week or so I must have been asked a hundred times if I am ready for Christmas. Over the phone or when a friend or family member stops by, "So, are you ready for Christmas?" My response varies as I try to play down the stress of this time of year with 3 little ones. I try to keep a smile on my face as I remember the reason we celebrate. I forget how much a four year old picks up on though. Tonight when I was putting Connor to bed, out of the blue he excitedly says, "I'm ready for Christmas!" I imagine he was wondering why I hadn't asked him, after all I've been asking everyone else. I sarcastically said back to him, "Oh yeah, & what do you have to do to be ready for Christmas?" He's four so I expected him to say something about getting gifts but he said matter of factly,
"Love Jesus."
He is so right! Knowing that we need a Savior & loving & accepting Jesus for who He is & what He has done as a gift for us.
Christmas is about the most wonderful gift that was ever given & continues to be received around the world.
Are YOU ready for Christmas?
Kristin


We continue to pray for Pat and his wonderful Family.

Dean & Lynn Connor

Anonymous said...

Jeannie
God is so revealing himself thru you and your family on this journey you're all on. I can see the love and a level of understanding that HE is giving to you thru it all Jeannie and I praise HIM for it.

You are just a special gal and I think I just may have to let Max Lucado know that you have taken pen in hand. Before you know it, you will be posting on the blog.

I'm so thrilled to know that ice chips brought Pat some comfort today. Oh the simple things that can bring such joy to our hearts. Keep kissing your man. Dianna

Anonymous said...

Jean, It's so great to hear from you. God bless you. I think of all of the times we laughed and how you've mentored me and helped me to keep my priorities straigt...God first! We are praying for Bohr's rapid and complete recovery-consistantly. I miss you guys. I'll be in Milwaukee in a few weeks and I'll stop to see you. Love, Cathi Janchan

Anonymous said...

Jean, it is so good to read your note. My heart is more at peace with your wonderful words. We needed to hear from you. We have all been wondering how you are doing. Thank you for writing. Such a strong, powerful testimony of God's love. Your transparent and honest witness and that of your family, are so honoring to our Lord. What a good thing is being done in eternity through this situation you are going through. Such a positive and confident attitude you all have. Who knows who will be in Heaven with us as a result of this web site???? The bold and selfless sharing is touching so many that know Him and many who don't. Wouldn't it be fun to see how far and how wide this web site is going??? Amazing. Love to all, Linda Lentz

SanDiegoGolfJunkie said...

Jean Machine,
Of course I know where you stand and just how well you're doing, but you gotta realize that not only your incredibly strong testimony is being outed here. Apparently, the Lord wants your snoring, bad singing, and halitosis out there for the world to know too :)
(You're a total riot, Ames :)
Love you Sis!! with all your sweet (and not so sweet) imperfections!!
Praying hard that Bohr keeps coming back to you a little more each day...it's in His hands...
xoxo
Pol

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, This thought will most likely seem insignificant compared to the fact that through you and your family and the blog postings God is touching hearts world-wide, but I am praying that you keep the handwritten letter you wrote for the blog in a safe place. Yesterday when I saw your words in ink as you set the letter down and you shared what you had written, it was clear God would mightily use what you had penned. Tonight, though, my thoughts are what a legacy of faith your letter will be for your grandchildren and for their children and how they will cherish the actual letter you have written. Jane

SanDiegoGolfJunkie said...

AMEN to Jane's comment...keep that handwritten letter!! that's a family legacy letter...

pestylapew said...

Jeannie,

I usually try to read the blog to your mom in the evening before bed, but tonight I'm not sure I can. I have prayed for Pat everyday and every night, and felt from the beginning that God was with him. I believed that with a fighting spirit and God's help he'd "be back". I will continue to pray for him. But, I will also thank God for allowing me to read the words that not only Amy writes, but those that you have written this evening. You're an amazing family.

Cassie

Anonymous said...

Hey Beast -

Your words were comforting, inspiring and truthful. It was great to hear from you and your pillar of stregnth you are showing in Him. I will keep praying for Pat and the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jean and Family,
My days begin and end with a visit to your blog site. It is here that I learn the latest update on Pat for whom I pray throughout the day. But it is here, on your blog site, that I am being introduced to a most amazing family. Your continuing praise and trust in our Lord, your unquestioning acceptance of the situation, your strength and love for our Lord and for one another are such an inspiration. I have a friend who is helping her husband battle brain cancer as well as helping her sister-in-law in her battle with uterian cancer. Through all of her trials, she has looked to the Lord for strength. I gave her your blog site address and I know that she is gaining strength and faith daily because of your family's example.

I believe your blog site is reassuring to those of us who have accepted Jesus Christ as our savior reaffirming our faith and love of our precious Lord. But I also believe that your blog site is life changing to those who come upon it and have not yet made that personal committment to Jesus Christ. Your updates and letters allow all readers to watch as Christ works in your lives - what a marvelous gift you are giving to your family, friends and all of your new friends around the world that are praying for Pat and all of you. Thank you for sharing your days with us - there is not a dry eye in my house nor a prayer left unsaid for Pat's full recovery. God Bless you - Lindy Hauber

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie,
Thanks for the encouraging words...and it is great to hear about Pat's progress. Hope you remember me as Mike's teacher in 8th grade...and the passing of the "Growing Up Catholic" book via the brown paper bag!!! You are a riot, and truly a woman of God. It always amazes me how the friends think they are going to be ministering to those in a tragic situation and, instead, become the ones ministered to. God bless your family.
Tom Seidl

Anonymous said...

Hi Bohrman Family -

Reading the posts and comments bring me back to the days of High School with Young Life in Oconomowoc. Seeing names like Gochenaur and Sauer bring back good memories.
Jeannie, I remember you as the Beast when we were at Frontier in Colorado.
I hope Pat continues to improve each day.
Lynn (Sjoberg) Bitney

Sue Johnson said...

Jeannie,

So good to hear from you! And so good to hear Pat's progress yesterday. I told Kersta and PJ that Amy was such a gifted writer, and after reading your blog, I can see where she gets it!

We are so blessed by your family's testimony and so blessed that we are now part of that family! Our daughter couldn't be in better hands.

We continue to pray and wait, and lift you ALL up to God, for strength, reassurance, and patience! We love you!

Sue and Dan

Anonymous said...

Bohrman Family:
We praise God that you all are walking with Him hour by hour! Our prayers will be with you. How wonderful to be a part of His family and have brothers and sisters in Christ rally around in a time of need. I know God will use this hardship you are going through for His glory. I pray your witness will bring many to Christ. His return awaits and we need to keep our eyes on eternity. Be strong in heart, He LOVES you and so do we!
Ted and Judy Witas
Camp Douglas

Anonymous said...

Jean and family,

Thank you for sharing through this awful ordeal. When I heard about the accident, I was stunned. This is a case of really bad things happening to really good people and I want to cry out "Lord, why?" Your words and faith are a blessing to all of us. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Arrietta

Anonymous said...

Baby steps-
Just watch a toddler learn to walk - forward, backward, side to side -OHHHHH he almost went over catching the air as he eventually tips over and falls down - then before you know it and without a tear he's back up again for more practice (and torture for the rest of us thinking he will hurt himself)!! A perfect analogy for life - we pick ourselves up and we move forward to accomplish the task at hand. A smooch, a smile, a thank you mouthed silently - we pick ourselves up and we move forward. A tear, prayer, questions, prayer, testing, prayer, waiting, prayer, resting, prayer, hoping, prayer, trusting, prayer - we pick ourselves up and we move forward to accomplish the task at hand....

Only this time we have Christ to help us carry this burden and all of HIS strength, prayer warriors, and angels are interceding on Pat and the family's behalf. This season of Christ's birth may we ALL recommit our lives to the ONE who created us and loves us.

I pray that through this struggle, God will show you HIS mighty hand and tender mercies. I believe HE already has!! Praise God for baby steps!!

Love always<><
Jenny Fell

Anonymous said...

Hi Bohrman family-
You don't know me, but my daughter Mary knows P.J. She called me about the accident when it happened and I have been praying and checking this site often. You have been such a blessing to me. Isn't the family of God wonderful? We have never met, but I feel I know you and God brings you to mind often so that I can bring you before him in prayer.
Loving you from Montanta-
Mardelle Hoch

Anonymous said...

Beastie-

What a wonderful letter for all to read! Love, S.O.W.
P.S. Kimmy helped me with this!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrman Family,

James 1:2 says "count it all joy when you endure various trials". Jean your attitude clearly demonstrates this priciple. Furthermore, you've made witnessing as easy as e-mailing a link to this blog. I look forward to going to work so I can check on Pat's progress.

I pray God's Blessing for all of you, as you've been a blessing to all who visit here.

"Well done good and faithful servants.

Devonet

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrman Family,

James 1:2 says "count it all joy when you endure various trials". Jean your attitude clearly demonstrates this priciple. Furthermore, you've made witnessing as easy as e-mailing a link to this blog. I look forward to going to work so I can check on Pat's progress.

I pray God's Blessing for all of you, as you've been a blessing to all who visit here.

"Well done good and faithful servants.

Devonet