Tuesday, December 26, 2006

ICU, do U C Me?

Again, not too much to report today. (When we said the progress would be slow, we really weren't kidding.) Dad seemed a little less frustrated than yesterday, a little bit more peaceful. There has been some setbacks with his lungs. It turns out the pneumonia (which was pretty much gone) has returned and has brought his temperature up a little bit. So he is back on antibiotics which will hopefully take care of it. One concern with his pneumonia is that it prevents his trach incision from healing, which opens the door for possible infection, etc. Obviously the pneumonia is bad for his lungs, which are already weak because of being on the respirator for so long. So our main prayer is to rid his body of the pneumonia. Although his lungs are not great, he was able to breath on his own for a whole 20 minutes today, and they were going to try again later tonight. This is really encouraging as his lungs need to get stronger and that won't happen while he's on the respirator. Praise God that he was able to breath on his own and his heart rate did not fluctuate. There are plenty of things to be thankful for if you just stop to look for them.

He still floats in and out, still says some crazy things, and still has a good smile or two right when you need it. Sometimes I get impatient and I just want to be assured that he knows I'm there. I find myself saying "Do you see me, Pops? Do you know it's me?" Sometimes he stares, a lot of times he nods. I just have to trust that he's progressing. Mom and I just laughed today as dad threw us some crazy faces. We would just love to know what's going through his mind sometimes. Just watching him from across the room, you have to wonder if he has any idea what's going on. Part of you hopes he really won't remember his stay in the ICU...it's hard to see him in this condition. But of course we have moments of encouragement and the ever-present sense of God's peace. I find myself asking God several times a day, "Alright God, what do you want me to learn from this? How do you want me changed?" I know He has precise plans for not only me, but everyone touched by this, and for that I am thankful.

Mom is doing well. She told me tonight that her favorite part of every day is her early morning drive to the hospital. I thought that was a bit odd until she explained that it's on her way there that she feels the closest to dad...watching the sun rise while driving his favorite car, listening to his favorite CD's, trying to break 100 mph without getting caught. Ok, so she doesn't do that last one, but dad totally would. I think sitting in his car listening to his tunes is the closest thing to a hug she can get from dad right now. What celebration there will be on the day we can all get a huge dad-bear-hug...I can't wait. But I will. We're all gettin' pretty good at it.

Praise God for another day...what a blessing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patrick, Jeannie, Mike, Amy , PJ and all.... You have all been in our prayers since we have logged on to this sight..... How in the world did this ever happen to Pat. He's the nicest guy.......The two of you should be very proud of your three Plus wonderful children.... you have raised them to be insightful, kind, loving and caring people. We have no doubt that Patrick will pull through all of this with flying colors. He is indeed the head of your household and has Jean by his side guiding everything exactly as it should be while he is under the weather. He trusts in all of you to "carry on" and from what we have been reading your are all doing a very fine job. You are all a wonderful and amazing family and we know that everything will work out according to HIS plan and it will all be PERECT for the Bohrmans. Jean, our special thoughts and prayers are with you and Pat.... We have all been partners for a very long time and Terry and I are just cheering the both of you on.... You are BOTH going to be just fine! Just trust in our wonderful and loving Lord as we know you will...With all of ourlove and prayers at this Christmas season and a very happy and healthy New Year. With Love, from The WEX family, Terry, Barb, Andrew, Patrick and Meridith

Anonymous said...

Post Script............guess I didn't use the spell check for my comments.........as heartfelt as they are.....Please know that HIS plan will be PERFECT! We have no doubt.......Love, Barbi Wex

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the wonderful writings on the progress and happenings of your father. Your family has been in our prayers constantly since the accident (and you should know everyone is praying at Church even if they don't write) and we will continue as you guide us through the progress. Know that it is in the small things that the blessings come. Becky & Freddy Peraza

Anonymous said...

it's me again, stearns.......i love your family!!! they are a testimony to ours!! i will be on this daily (and then some!! :) prayer is powerul.....when that door is closed, that window is closed) when you need a good laugh, remember me trying to baptize you in your mom's bathroom at age 8!!!!! ( just HAD to have you go to heaven with me..we were inseparable.)just as we are now due to God's family being just that!! i love ya', jean.......til' tomorrow ( or after work tonight) when i check this out for more updates, etc., and pray the whole time while accessing this wonderful blog. kath ( and mike says to tell you that your 12-20th letter was awesome.....he's a man who doesn't say that lightly...he became weepy after reading....as did i, also)

Anonymous said...

Dear Gracious & Heavenly Father,
Today, we petition YOU for a special healing for Pat's lungs to clear and continue to give the Bohrman family signs of remarkable steps toward recovery. I love this song so I will print the words.....and if you can't sing, just imagine the angels singing in harmonious voices:

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song; This cornerstone, this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm. What height of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when striving cease! My comforter, my all in all, Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone-who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness, Scorned by the ones He came to save. Till on that cross, as Jesus died, The wrath of God was satisfied; For every sin on Him was laid. Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay, Light of the world by darkness slain; Then bursting forth in glorious day - up from the grave He rose again! And as He stands in victory, Sin's curse has lost its grip on me, For I am His and He is mine - Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death, This is the power of Christ in me; From life's first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny. No power of hell, no scheme of man, Can ever pluck me from His hand; Till He returns or calls me home, Here in the power of Christ I'll stand!

I pray you will be encouraged today, the victory has already been sealed through the love of Christ!!!

Love<><
Jenny

michelle said...

i wont stop praying.

Sue Johnson said...

Jeannie,

Just want you to know that I am especially praying that God will give you an extra dose of strength and stamina this season as you walk through this time with Pat. Your love and devotion for him has been such a testimony, and I know it must be extremely tiring for you, given the winter season, so I am asking God daily to give you the strength you need for that day...and maybe some sunshine, too!

We love you!

Sue (for Dan and Collin, too)

Anonymous said...

Stearns, I just heard about Patrick. My heart sunk...are you okay? I haven't read the whole 'blog' site, but I'm hopeful Pat is improving? (Was never quite sure what a 'blog' is anyway, so I hope I am doing this right) I tried to call you instead - left a message. Do you need my help? Can I meet you in Milwaukee?
I love you guys. Mike and I are praying for you. xo Love, Meier
mbcarroll@yahoo.com

PS - My sister, Marguerite just emailed me your blog site. Said she heard about Pat's accident through Nancy Wirth via Itch. I'll start reading your website now. I'm thinking about you Stearns. Give Bohr a hug for me. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been trying to figure out if I could send a picture of the family under the comments. NO !!! My first time with a blog. Oh well, guess I will have to mail it snail mail. I am sure you would not recognize Abby, Austin and Adler. All grown up now.
Continuing to pray for healing and all that God has for the Bohrman Family. By His design, you all will draw closer to each other and Jesus. He longs for you to tell Him all that concerns you today and for the future. He will take care of every detail and do above and beyond what you ask for.
linda lentz

Anonymous said...

me AGAIN stearns!! i looked at what i wrote you...oops...i hope He OPENS a window when He shuts that door....... oh well...you and He know what i meant!!!!!! you are one strong lady...no, i'm not putting you on a pedestal.....but your strength is very superhuman......just as He promised it would be in these times. again, call or anything...am continually praying...it's all i can think about, stearns. but that's a good thing...the more prayer, the more power/hope. there's only no hope when when there's no vision. i definitely have a vision...it is God healing pat. your family is the best. love, arch my parents are already on the blog....they're very concerned. mel just saw ginny at the jewel...apparently right before pat's accident. she was so glad i called them cuz they're off to florida on saturday for the winter and will not have internet...so until they leave, they are following bohr's progress closely. they love you!!!!!! me,too. :)