Friday, December 22, 2006

Do You Have A Car?

Dad was awake most of the day, but I think it's mom who's the most worn out. Dad seems either confused or in denial about what he is capable of. He keeps asking mom to take him home, or asking her to stand him up so he can see what he can do. She tells him that he has a respirator and IV's that are keeping him alive, and that he needs to rest. He then nods as if he understands, but then will soon ask the same questions. She tells him that he will learn to move and walk (hopefully) but for now he needs to heal. He'll ask her "Do you have a car?", she says yes, and then he'll say "Let's get out of here." It's hard to know what this all means, but we are trying hard to remember that until he's out of the ICU, he won't necessarily be himself. Mom says right now he seems to be acting very childlike, always wanting to hold her hand. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to want so badly to move, and not being able to. Right now he only has movement in his right arm. Only time will tell what he can do, but for all of us, it will be a very slow process. Pray for dad, that he deals with his limitations and continues to heal so he can leave the ICU. Although it's frustrating to see him confused, we have to remember where we were just two days ago. The progress is minute in some ways, but huge in others. Continue to pray for his progress, and praise God for so much that has changed....now he can communicate! What an improvement.

I ask that you especially pray for mom tonight. She is just plain worn out, physically and emotionally. It has been two weeks since the accident, and I think we all feel like it has been two months. Pray for strength and peace and endurance for this marathon we are running. It takes a toll on all of us, but mom especially. I will be at the hospital much of the day tomorrow, so hopefully she will take some time away.

As I think about what our Friday was like two weeks ago, I thank God that dad is where he is. I thank God that dad is here at all. God knows exactly what He's doing, and I rest in the knowledge that none of this is surprising to Him. Not even dad's delusions and denial. I smile as I think of dad right now, probably begging some nurse to get her car so they can escape. Oh, Pops....get some rest. You will need it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus, we invite you to take control of Pat's reactions, confusion and questions. Only you know what is going through his mind and the frustration he is feeling. Please heal his lungs and allow him to begin to move about. We ask for an extra portion of strength and mercy for Jean. She is so critical in this whole process. Amy, your assistance will be so appreciated and vital as your mom rests. May the responsibility of Pat's immediate care make you stronger and develop your heart of compassion beyond what you ever thought you could handle. Jeannie, get some rest. Both of you allow the hosptial staff to do their jobs. Take breaks. They will get in touch when you are needed. Continue to eat properly, get rest and keep your spirits up. Call in help when you need it. We are all waiting for the word and we will be there to do what ever is needed. I pray your sleep is restful, your days are filled with precious memories and meaningful activities and conversations to help the time pass. You are all very courageous and brave. Move forward with confidence and assurance as the King's Kids. Linda Lentz

Anonymous said...

Hi All! just checking in on all of you...Looks like Pat is on the way to recovery. God is surely protecting Pat and ensuring he heals properly.Its so awesome!
Sure nice to see all the LOVE in the pictures! What a great family! We continue to pray for the entire Bohrman family!

Merry Christmas to all of you!
Praise God!

Our Love to You from California...
Randy & Debbie Sabatte
(YoungLife friends of Megan Fraser)

Anonymous said...

I was laughing out loud in the middle of the night when I read "shoe butt." This blog has brought me from laughing to crying. I guess the computer can be used for good too!

Jeanie, I only remember 2 instances in ICU. One is when my sister Cindy waved to me when I woke up, and she was sitting in the recliner. I'm glad they got you one.

I will want to come up there too. My "only" issue is that I cannot drive that far. I will just have to wait until you come home Pat.

A woman named Linda posted on Dec. 15 at 10:58 p.m. and spoke my sentiments exactly.

Pat, I never quite souped up my wheel chair, walker, or cane because I hardly wanted to foul up like Tim Allen! You go ahead!

LOVE and prayers
Carla German
<>< (I like how Jennifer Fell does that.)

Anonymous said...

Dear Bohrmans,
Ron & I have been praying for Pat since we found out about the accident. I'm writing to tell you that what Pat is going through is normal because of all the serious trauma, medications, etc. My son was hit by a Mack truck when he was walking home. He did exactly the same things Pat is doing for the first 4 weeks. He is now almost fully recovered, Praise God. He doesn't remember any of the frustration and confusion. Praise God! He also seemed to have one good day followed by one bad. Hang in there!
Our God is an awesome God, and I thank him for your family and its inspiration.
God Bless you all,
Ron & Sharon Rohrmayer

Anonymous said...

I pray today that Jesus will give you the rest, healing, and an extra measure of patience. I thank YOU for the example of the Bohrman family, please give them all the encouragement and peace they need to "run the race". Father, help them to take the breaks: get a walk, enjoy the decorations around them, enjoy meaningful time together as a family, give them travel mercies to and from the hospital. Help them to find hope & encouragement in the little victories that YOU have already provided. We know that you are in control, and we praise you for that head knowledge, but Father, please give the entire family the extra measure of heart knowledge that they can rest, hope, trust and have peace in YOU and YOUR devine providence. We consider it a priviledge to help carry this to YOU in prayer, Father. Please continue to heal Pat; clarify and strengthen his mind and give him patience & understanding that his body may not be 100% right now but that YOU are the GREAT PHYSICIAN and that a great & mighty work is indeed taking place. I thank you that Amy is sharing so intimately with us through the world wide web, and please help Jeannie get her rest, strengthen her physically, spiritually and emotionally to fight this battle. Encourage them all, Father, and we wait and continue to trust in YOUR almighty plan. May we all have peace with YOU as we await the birth of our saviour!

And Carla, what are you doing up at 3:14 AM - you need to get your rest, too!!!

Love & Blessings<><
Jenny Fell

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeannie, you guys are in our prayers daily, we love you.
Lundys

Anonymous said...

You don't know me. I received the prayer request for Pat through our church's email prayer chain in Charlotte, NC. Pat and family are in my prayers often. Tonight as I was praying for Pat I felt God prompting me to write this note to encourage you to be reading the bible to him. I would imagine that you are. But I wanted to listen to God's voice. Your faith and trust in our Savior is an inspiration to me! God sustain and uphold you all. Jean