Tuesday, February 13, 2007

No Iced Tea....Yet

Dad was able to have the swallow test this morning, but unfortunately he did not pass. Quite a bummer to say the least. Because the muscles in his throat have been idle for so long, he is unable to control them completely, which means when he swallows, a small amount of food goes into his windpipe and lungs. Obviously, not good. The encouraging news is that this problem is not a result of his accident but rather from the weakness in his muscles. So his therapist will test him again in 2 or 3 weeks to see if his muscle control has improved. Apparently, patients seem to retain the muscles needed for swallowing as they go through rehab, so we pray that he progresses and passes the next test. So here's to three more weeks of oatmeal bags.....

Although the day seemed to be headed in the wrong direction, God gave us a few blessings to balance it out...dad moved across the hall and is now a 'rehab' patient. Yahoo! This means that his therapy schedule will become more rigorous and he'll be working his butt off in rehab. Yahoo! It will be hard, exhausting, and frustrating work...but we all know it's the only thing that will make him stronger. No pain, no gain, baby.

And remember the "permanent" dialysis catheter that was implanted into his shoulder a few weeks back? The one that would allow him to have kidney dialysis on a regular basis? They took it out. No need for it. He makes his own urine. Ain't nothing to it.

So thank God for some good things today...for some reason, He does not want dad eating or drinking quite yet, and that's okay. We'll wait for the right time. (Easy for me to say as I sip on a nice Diet Pepsi with Lime.) He still has some problems with secretions which are completely exhausting for him, and he still has a loooong way to go, but we praise God for a few more baby steps. His timing is perfect...100% of the time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, Amy, Amy....get the story right - use the correct lingo...the fact isn't that Bob didn't pass the test...he had an assessment and he "isn't there yet"...at the assessed level. We don't ever want God's children to think they "failed". It shows you have been away from OHS for too long to be using the term "pass/fail".

That said, we Praise God for the progress made yesterday and can't wait to see what today holds!

Anonymous said...

A little more oatmeal never hurt anyone and Pat's cholestrol should be almost perfect by now.

I didn't get the picture of your dad until today and he looks wonderful. I know he still has a looooong way to go and I know you can't judge a book by it's cover but Mr. Bohr is mighty striking in his hospital bed - I can only imagine how dashing he is in his power chair.

The AWANA girls all continue to lift the Bohrman's up to our precious Lord daily and nightly. We are going to have a 'sleep over' in the Church gym on Friday night. We will be dedicating our evening of praise and worship, fun and food to Mr. Bohrman and his wonderful family. We send love and prayers to all of you.
Lindy Hauber -

Tkh said...

Dear Bohrmans-

I am so thankful for the progress. Amy thank you so much for your continued updates - you are so faithful and I admit I check most nights before bed hoping for something sweet to sleep on and then usually get them in the morning. Once I make the coffee, it literally starts my day. This blog has become a source of devotion for me - so many wonderful scriptures and encouraging words from those who love you and your family. My heart has been joined to many, some I don't even know! I've been able to take some of the scriptures to my Dad in an effort to encourage and sustain him. So please know the impact it has had in my little corner of the world. Having said that...I know at times you must be tired and weary. Just the driving back and forth between IL and WI and then Ocon and Mil can be draining. So if you take a break any time you feel it's needed...I completely understand!!

I loved this scripture from our message last Sunday. I hope it encourages you all:
Ps. 18:35 "You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great." Can't you just picture God stooping down like a strong father to a child encouraging us to MAKE us great? I love you Bohr! He's making you great! I am so proud of your perseverence and ability to hang tough! That is something I can only imagine.

Congratulations on the newest Bohrman - way to go Mike and Becky! I love you Jeannie and miss you often. PJ and Kirsta (did I spell that right?) I hope God is blessing you both out in Colorado! You guys have a great family - don't take that one for granted! Love, Hubbell

Anonymous said...

Praise God for progress.

No Ice Tea yet but the swallow problem is not from the accident which is great.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat: there is always a Rainbow at the end of a rain..so you had a little rain to deal with and I'm sure you can handle a small re-assment..good to hear that you have made another move to a re-hab room which is great progress in it self..also having the catheter gone is another big accomplishment.. little steps are GREAT also..Many prayers for many many many more little steps..xoxoxox's Chris & Dan

Anonymous said...

dearest Amy,

you are doing a super job with blog reports each night so don't worry about the lingo or the pronouns etc. The way you write touches ours and so many many hearts in ways you can't even imagine. How blessed your parents and brothers and your hubby Chris are to have you, as we all are.

With lots of love and prayers for you all,

Terry & Bill F