Thursday, March 29, 2007

Reality Bites

The last few days have been pretty quiet, a little blah. I think everyone was on such an emotional high after all the commotion of this weekend....we all seem to have crashed a little bit, dad included. He is doing okay...he has physical, speech, and occupational therapy every day in addition to his permanent Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday dialysis schedule. Being in therapy is great, but it also forces him to realize his disability, to find out all the things he is unable to do, one task at a time.

Yesterday he was pretty down. He said his therapist was trying to get him to write, and he couldn't do it at all, then they worked on putting his shirt on, he can't do that either. It is so deflating for him to fail over and over at simple tasks. There is really so very little he can do for himself.

The swallow test won't be happening for at least a week, he is still having to be suctioned at least four or five times a day minimum. It's not good that he's needing suctioning, as his lungs should be stronger by now and he should be able to be swallowing his secretions. He still can only use his talking valve for short periods of time until the swallow test can prove he's not aspirating. So we wait a little more. And if we're tired of waiting, you can imagine how Pops feels.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be him, to be a quadriplegic. I can't even begin to comprehend what it's like to have no control over your own body, to look at your hand and not be able to make a fist, to see your legs but not feel them. To be a grown man and be dependent on nurses to take care of your every personal need. And some needs are very, very personal. Some days as I watch my dad go through this, I just get overwhelmingly sad. I don't want him to have to do this anymore. I don't want mom to have to do this anymore. I don't want to do this anymore. I want our lives to be normal. I want our lives to be the way they were before December 8, 2006.

Yes, he has a new, cool wheelchair. Yes, it goes fast. Yes, I get excited when I think dad may qualify for having a service monkey which would probably be the coolest thing to ever happen in the history of the universe. But those feelings fade fast when I see my dad face reality and in his helplessness, all he can do is cry.

My dad is pretty helpless. That's reality. And sometimes reality bites. But the greater reality is that God has a purpose for my dad's life, and I pray tonight that mom and dad would get a tiny glimpse of how sweet that reality could be. Hopefully the only thing biting will be the helpful but ornery service monkey that I am desperately hoping for...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Don't put a period...where God meant a comma"

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat & Bohrmans,
"When I am afraid, I will trust in YOU. In God, whose Word I praise, in God I trust; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" Psm 56:3-4 So today I pray that there will only be trust and that any frustration, anxiety, fear or doubt will be replaced by the Word of our Lord. Father, please strengthen and heal Pat's throat muscles and continue to give him a desire to keep up with his physical therapy. Give him patience and endurance to run the race set before him. Encourage Jeannie and the entire Bohrman family and give them peace and trust in YOU throughout the days of turmoil. Thank you, Amy for your transparent blogs which give us a chance to follow and lift up specific prayer requests. My heartfelt prayer is that there will continue to be positive baby steps for Pat and measurable progress. Amen
Love<><
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Amy,
For some reason God has allowed your Father to go through this. As family and friends look on, walking alongside him in wonder. There is not a moment reading your words that we do not feel a "portion" of this. As you have said, how does he feel! God knows and he loves your Pops more than you or I could possibly know. Is that when Faith steps in? I don't know. Be encouraged, good will come out of this and God's time is not our time.
Hang in there, you are doing a great job encouraging all of us.
Love to you and your family,
Patti

Anonymous said...

Okay, so what is a service monkey?

Time heals--thank God. He is certainly working on your patience!

Carla G.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
Thank you for your faithful sharing of your family's journey. You have shared the hills and valleys and have lifted this "follower"'s appreciation of how God works and comforts through the most treacherous treks.
I am always amazed by people who climb mountains like everest and go through such physical and mental struggle to get to the top..yet now i see that Pat and his family make that look like a walk in the park..everyday when i check your site i am reminded of the trials you face and i pray that God will bring strength and comfort to you and all who face life's struggles today. God Bless the Bohrman Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,

Thank you for communicating what is happening, both the ups and the downs. God is using this situation to strengthen the faith of everyone who reads your blog. The situation is so unfair, but it not our place to question why, but to lean on our faith to be able to carry on.

Arrietta

Anonymous said...

Amy, I love you...and your sweet Pops....
Hang in the best you can, baby...
Love to yer Mom....
p

Anonymous said...

Ames,
Please tell your mom I'll be in WI from April 19-22. Love to you all! O.K.