Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Good Weekend, A Bad Toothbrush

Despite his medical problems, dad had a great weekend. We have really seen a difference in his attitude and he seems to be more himself than ever...a much different Pops than we've seen in a long time. He was happy, talkative, and laughing (the talking and laughing being silent of course since he can't speak yet). I was amazed at the difference I saw since a week ago. After weeks of basically just sitting in his chair, not really trying to do anything, he is once again using his right arm a lot...scratching his face, motioning when he talks, adjusting his own oxygen tubes. All simple things but things we haven't seen him choose to do lately. So encouraging. Heck, fan-flipping-tastic even.

And he's just plain funny. I forgot how funny he was. Two of his nurses from the spinal cord unit came to visit him yesterday (just because they missed him...aw, sweet) and they asked how he was doing. Dad sarcastically replied, "Well, I've only got, like, three infections, so that's good." Then he adds, "Yep, and my oxygen's at 98%, my secretions are thick, and I'm dialated five inches." Everyone burst out laughing. We had to clarify that he said "dialated", and he rolled his eyes as if to say, "Well, duh, I was kidding." We told him it must be hard to be quick witted when people have to read your lips a couple of times to get the joke....he just laughed.

There's hope that he'll be back on the spinal cord floor this week, not that we don't enjoy taking a tour of the entire hospital, but it would be nice to stay in one place. It's hard getting to know all new nurses and doctors. They are trying to clear up his numerous infections and get him healthy again so he can get back on track. He did get into his chair today, so that's always good.

A few things I don't want to forget about today....one involves a fight over a toothbrush which started when dad asked mom, "So how much did you spend on my toothbrush? Not much, huh?" She replied defensively, "What do you mean? It's a good toothbrush!" Dad shot back with, "Um, no. It's a piece of sh%#." They 'discussed' the quality of the toothbrush for a few minutes as I laughed uncontrollably in the corner of the room. There was just something about that silly argument that was beautiful...it was just, them. They're half mad, half laughing, with dad tilted back in his chair waving that right arm around, mouthing a few choice words, and mom defending her toothbrush purchase to the end (even though it was a really crappy toothbrush). It was just...so...completely normal. Beautifully, hilariously, normal. It of course ended with a dramatic throwing away of the crappy toothbrush....and lots of laughter. Whether silent or heard, nothing beats the sweet sound of Pops laughing.

I can't help but think...two good days in a row...so what's around the corner??? But no matter what we encounter tomorrow, we rest tonight thanking God for bringing our Pops back. What we saw this weekend was the Pops we knew three months ago, and what a gift from God it was. We pray that his positive attitude continues and that he keeps going forward. Still lots to pray for, lots of steps to be taken, lots of hurdles to jump over.

And, of course, a new toothbrush to break in.

7 comments:

Brandon said...

Definitely an answer to prayer that phrases like "laughing uncontrollably" and "Dad's Jokes" are back on the blog! To God be all the Glory! Prayers have been for his spirits and God has done a marvelous work. Now we just need to pray that the Lord will quickly heal these infections so we can see the healing that He is doing in Pat's spine. We will also pray for 3 good days in a row. Tomorrow we will pray for 4 but for today our 'manna' will be one good day at a time.

Isa 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Anonymous said...

I haven't giggled to myself while reading your blog in a long time. Happy to hear that spirits are up. That's big.

Julie

Anonymous said...

I haven't forgotten how funny your dad is. Plus HE knows how funny he is... You know what I mean...laughing at his own jokes? How wonderfully refreshing to read about the the toothbrush debacle! It created a great visual! Thanks, Ames.
Love to you all, O.K.

Anonymous said...

That was such a fun read.......and so encouraging!! You know......I think Pat deserves one of those battery operated Superman, Spiderman, or SpongeBob toohtbrushes....don't ya think????
Thanks for your posts, Amy.....Warm fuzzies and huge hugs to you all.
Marlee

Anonymous said...

Amy... could you please post the mailing address of the hospital on the blog? Thanks so much for being so faithful with your posts. Many people that we know that have never met you have read them daily, are faithfully praying, and feel connected to your family because of it. Love & hugs to you all!

Anonymous said...

Oh... I can picture your Dad.... making everyone laugh, like only he can. I think back on times that he cracked me up! One time comes to mind that your mom and I were sitting down at the waterfront at CFS, watching your dad attempt to wind surf. There were several days that he entertained us as he spent more time in the water than on the board. But this particular day he looked like a pro! :-) As he walked toward us on the beach, I said, "Man, Pat, we are so impressed!" to which he replied (without cracking a smile), "Cool.... I love impressing chicks."
Mimi Ipsen

Anonymous said...

Thats funny! But what kind of a toothbrush was it? it couldn't have been that bad! anyway i'm still prayin!