Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sweet Dreams

The results of the biopsy came back. The doctors found that the problem with his kidneys is infection-related...they just can't figure out where the infection is. They did a cat scan of his abdomen but found no abscess, so they will have to fight the infection with a general anti-biotic regimen and hope it takes care of it. He will have dialysis tomorrow and may need it a few times a week. They will just wait and see how it goes.

So really not a lot of change...every day seems to be about the same. His attitude is decent, and they are trying to make plans to get him back to the spinal cord unit. It will be great if he gets to move there next week...it's just a much better place for him to be. Our prayer is that the move happens....and soon.

Last night was tough for him...he was restless and pretty anxious. I asked what makes him anxious at night and he said "boredom". When mom got there this morning, he was very upset and said, "I can't do this anymore." Mom asked what he meant and he said, "Jean, I can't move. I can't do this anymore. I...can't...move." We've never heard him say that before. He's obviously been depressed in the past, and upset at times, but he's never flat out said that he can't go on. We don't know if he's finally dealing with reality a little bit more, or if it's just a bad day...either way, totally understandable.

By the end of the day, he was himself and seemed in a better mood. When I left for the night, he had fallen asleep with a smile on his face...must have been a good dream or something. He looked so happy I couldn't take my eyes off him as I left his room. The sweet moment ended quite abruptly when I ran right into the door frame. I am a moron.

If I happen to be there when mom is leaving for the day, I am blessed to be able to watch them pray together as they do every single night. The prayer of late seems to be, "Lord, we will not let Satan defeat us. We will not give up." Such an important prayer. Satan wants nothing more than for them to give up, to feel abandoned, to feel defeated. Some days are a real battle, but God will be victorious. I pray especially tonight that dad would feel victory and not defeat. May he sleep well and have lots of sweet dreams.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember feeling defeated a few times when I was in the hospital. Satan got the best of me! He did not win--not at all!

Pat, I so want to see you. I just have to wait for a ride.

I saw Ray Betz tonight. What a blessing. I used to teach with him.

Carla G.

Anonymous said...

I went to a talk on "The Healing Power of Humor." One of the suggestions for hospital stays was getting videos of "Marks brothers, Bill Cosby, G. Carlin" I'm not sure which comedian Pat likes, but I'm passing this on. Keep up the good fight.

Anonymous said...

AMY:
WOULD 'BP' BE A GOOD GAS CARD TO SEND JEANNIE?
SINCERELY,
'OUT OF STATE-ER'

Amy Fanning said...

Out of Stater,

BP is A-OK.

Thanks for thinking of her,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Just had to send this to Pat and the Bohrman family on St Patrick's day..you are all remembered and prayed for by so many who do not know you "personally" but you have become one of my very "personal" friends through Christ..I do believe by your sharing you have touched us in our hearts and how we view our own lives and the lives of our families...praying for Saint Pat Bohrman today

Anonymous said...

Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day !!!!

An Old Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

A Gaelic Christening Blessing
Dearest Father in Heaven,
Bless this child and bless this day
Of new beginnings.
Smile upon this child
And surround this child, Lord,
With the soft mantle of your love.
Teach this child to follow in your footsteps,
And to live life in the ways of
Love, faith, hope and charity.

A Wish for a Friend
Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers—
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours—
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!

An Irish Prayer
May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

Love, linda lentz